English wheel & Planishing hammer.

A look at some of the shop tools for RewT.
RewT

English wheel & Planishing hammer.

Post by RewT » 07 Dec 2016, 13:41

The English wheel is a great tool that comes in handy when working with sheet metal. This unit is from Grizzly and comes with the frame and all the dies for around $150 shipped. The dies are smaller, but if you are just getting into wheeling and want to learn, this is a great machine.

The planishing hammer is from Harbor freight and is also a great tool. The planishing hammer is perfect for smoothing large areas of metal for welds and panel crowning. The solid steel frame of this pneumatic hammer handles shaping steel up to 18 gauge! The planishing hammer also features foot pedal operation to leave your hands free to work and adjust.
19-5/8 in. throat accommodates large workpieces
Comes with 1 in., 2 in. and 3 in. radius anvils
Foot pedal operation leaves hands free to work
Rugged steel frame

I decided to mount my English wheel and planishing hammer onto 1 table for easy use. I had to make the 4 mounting brackets for the wheel and also made a mount for the extra dies for the planishing hammer and tied to the two machines together with a piece of diamond plate to make both more ridged.

I am happy with both machines and would defiantly purchase them again.
Attachments
IMG_20161130_152732484.jpg
And mounted to the stand.
20151112_154925.jpg
The English wheel in the vice.
20141024_163335.jpg
Planishing hammer in the vice mount I made for it.
Getting a good deal is no reason to accept sub-par work, since making it right costs more later.
RewT Customization & Fabrication. Get it done right the first time!

RewT

Re: English wheel & Planishing hammer.

Post by RewT » 11 Jan 2017, 14:42

I did recently take the English wheel apart and painted the brackets and the frame itself.

I am going to be upgrading the wheel to the Bench top English wheel from the Eastwood company after the first of the year. Been using one at a friends shop and with the larger dies, works a lot faster and easier on my arms.
Attachments
IMG_20161230_154141283.jpg
Took it all apart and sanded and painted all the brackets and the frame!
Getting a good deal is no reason to accept sub-par work, since making it right costs more later.
RewT Customization & Fabrication. Get it done right the first time!