[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
• View topic - 1980 GMC 4x4
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 20:20
If you are new here and want to register an account send an email to info@rewtcustoms.com so I know your a real person and activate your account.

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 1980 GMC 4x4
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 17:22 

This last week I sold the old rims and tires and the bed, So I got some cash for some more upgrades. I am going to start with some lighting. Front and rear and some tow hooks on the front too. Had alittle time this afternoon so I got to work. Here are some pics.

This is what I got.

Round lights on the front, and the square ones on the rear of the cab.

Then I installed the front light and tow hooks.

And the front end done for now..

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 16:10 

Tailight install.. I wanted some kind of brake light in the rear, I don't want to get rear ended on the trail ever again. I debated where to mount these, finally decided on the back of the cab. Had some spare time this afternoon, so I got it done..

Laying out the cut line.

Drilling out the holes with a holesaw.

And installed.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 16:27 

And finished them up today.

This is just the taillights, not the brake, yep it gets brighter....

Then took her outside so I could work on the Ranger.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 06:26 

I have been wheeling this truck a few times and have to say I am pretty happy with it so far. I have decided to Chicago lock the front and rear axle for the time being. It is 1/2 ton axles so I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on axles I plan on replacing. Next project on this truck will be the front bumper and doving the front end. I am also going to be upgrading the suspension and doing so testing for one of my suspension suppliers. Same amount of lift, just new better parts. Pics coming soon.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 19:18 

Had a free day today, so I decided to work on the truck. Pulled the front diff cover off and cleaned and welded up the spider gears making a full locker now in the front. While I had the cover off I sandblasted it, primered and painted it. I also added a piece of 3/16 plate to protect the ring gear. Its locked and ready to go now. Here are a some pics.

And painted and reinstalled.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2014, 18:23 

Then it was time to do the rear. The gear oil in the rear axle was in pretty sad shape and needed to be changed. Here are some of the pics.

Sandblasted and ready for welding..

Same plate I used on the front diff. but this one covers all the ring part.

Here is the after with the little side piece I added for extra protection, and I finally painted the flat bed..

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 16:25 

Alright, the next thing on the long list of stuff I want to get done is making it easier to see out of this big cab. When I had Ugly I made a big hole in the fire wall and put plexi glass over it and could see right down onto the tire, this worked great..
After getting some seat time in this rig I came to the conclusion I need to see out of it better.. So I started making some half doors that I scored of the C-10 board for $40. Didn't take very long to do and makes a lot of difference, Now to finish bracing and plating the top also go to make some custom door cup holders. This is what I got done so far.

Laying out the cut lines, next step was gutting the inside and removing all the glass.

The next 3 are of the doors before trimming them down.

And what its like now. trimmed the front and rear down, Door button still works and so does the lock..

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 16:26 

Almost done with the driverside door. Here are a few pics of it now.

Soup can cup holders..

Did 2 for no real reason.

And all together.

Little bit more grinding and a coat of paint, then on to the passanger side.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 16:26 

Started on the passenger side door this weekend. Jess took some pics of me working, I didn't even know she was in the garage until she emailed me the pictures today.

Cutting and grinding away.

Started making the fill plates this morning, should have them welded in soon, then grind and paint. Also got to get some type of mirror mounted on the door.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 16:27 

1/2 doors are done, just need to paint the passenger. I really like the way they turned out.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 08:56 

Update time.. Truck has been sitting on the side of the shop for the last couple months for sale on Craiglist, I got a few good offers, but nothing ever went through so its back to getting built as a wheeler for me.

I have been driving it around the shop using the winch to move cars, and ran it out of gas. Put new gas in it and it wouldn't restart. Bought a new fuel pump and installed it, and it still wouldn't run. Turns out the carb had something stuck in it, so I took off the carb inner filter out replaced it and smacked the carb with a screwdriver and now its working great.

RewT customs just got a new hydraulic tubing bender so this truck is now going to be the test vehicle for future projects.I did finally make a mount for the gas filler neck. Next on the list is to finish up the front bumper and make a set of sliders and start working on the roll cage.

I did yesterday take the truck up to a friends property that has a nice little wheelin area and rock crawl. Truck worked great, only damage was a broken headlight after falling into a hole where there was a large stick that took it out. I am just glad it didn't damage the radiator. And wheeling with the full doors on really sucks now...

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 19:00 

Damage report from Super bowl sunday wheelin trip..

1: Broken passenger hub.

2: front driveshaft axle end U-joint broke.

3: Lost 2 beads on the tires front passenger and rear driver, bald tire did great.

4: hit a rock so hard broke the glass fuel filter, Luckily I had a spare in the rear box.

5: rear tire came off the back of the bed hitting Marks front end so I had to get him a new light and bezel.. Picked it up on Monday when I got the new hub. I am going to make a permanent mount now for the spare..

6: And the weirdest break of all we were sitting in the parking lot talking before we were loading up, and we hear glass break. We walked over to the side of my truck and the side window was shattered. We were alone and didn't see anyone.. Kind of scared me.

Truck is now fixed and ready to go again, I now got the front end stripped down and getting ready to Pinch the front end for more clearance. Also need to get some sliders made. I will post some pics in a few days. It was a great day of wheelin, Not another person is sight could hear the deer and wildlife in the woods..

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 18:28 

So I got the above listed stuff I broke wheelin elbe last weekend fixed and decided to do something I have wanted to do for a while. I want to pinch/ dove the front end. But on this one I want to keep my ugly headlight bezels and blinkers and reinstall them in and cut up an original plastic grill I have had laying around for years. I am going to sell the billet grill to pay for the parts I need to do this plus its just to nice to cut up.

Got it all stripped down and making the measurements so It all works in the end.

Then I set the bezels back in place where they are no going to be.

I am taking about 7 inchs off each side. I am also doing this after work and not taking shop time to do it. Hoping to get some more done this weekend.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 16:29 

Got another bed for the truck. I haven't really been looking but I found this on the c10 board for $120 with the tailgate. I do have to say the truck looks a lot better with a bed..

Now its time to build a couple bumpers and get it ready for the boggs!

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 10:15 

Alright, the next thing on the long list of stuff I want to get done is making it easier to see out of this big cab. When I had Ugly I made a big hole in the fire wall and put plexi glass over it and could see right down onto the tire, this worked great..
After getting some seat time in this rig I came to the conclusion I need to see out of it better.. So I started making some half doors that I scored of the C-10 board for $40. Didn't take very long to do and makes a lot of difference, Now to finish bracing and plating the top also go to make some custom door cup holders. This is what I got done so far.

Laying out the cut lines, next step was gutting the inside and removing all the glass.

The next 3 are of the doors before trimming them down.

And what its like now. trimmed the front and rear down, Door button still works and so does the lock..

Going to get these finished up this week after work. Will post some more updates when I get more done.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 10:16 

Almost done with the driverside door. Here are a few pics of it now.

Soup can cup holders..

Did 2 for no real reason.

And all together.

Little bit more grinding and a coat of paint, then on to the passanger side.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 10:17 

Started on the passenger side door this weekend. Jess took some pics of me working, I didn't even know she was in the garage until she emailed me the pictures today.

Cutting and grinding away.

Started making the fill plates this morning, should have them welded in soon, then grind and paint. Also got to get some type of mirror mounted on the door.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 10:17 

1/2 doors are done, just need to paint the passenger. I really like the way they turned out.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 10:18 

Got another bed for the truck. I haven't really been looking but I found this on the c10 board for $120 with the tailgate. I do have to say the truck looks a lot better with a bed..

Now its time to build a couple bumpers!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 15:56 

This project was sold!! I traded the Truck for a 1977 Jeep Wagonner. I wanted another full-size jeep so the whole family could fit comfrey. I will post a build thread for the new jeep I got back last summer..